The 2015 Student Design Competition sponsored by the Acoustical Society of America’s Technical Committee on Architectural Acoustics and the National Council of Acoustical Consultants, in conjunction with the Newman Student Award Fund, was judged at the 169th ASA Meeting in Pittsburgh, PA, in May 2015. The project involved the design of a performance venue addition to a casino and hotel facility in downtown Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. Many thanks to those who served on the panel of judges: Jeff Babich (Babich Acoustics); Felicia Doggett (Metropolitan Acoustics); Gregory Galford (Chatham University); Paul Graf (Avon Graf Architects); and Steve Roth (Roth Acoustical Associates).
And the winners are…
First Honors (Wenger Award $1250 prize):
- Johan Dahlberg and Johanna Isaksson; Chalmers University of Technology (Faculty Advisor: Prof. Mendel Kleiner)
Commendations in no particular order ($700 prize):
- Jay Bliefnick; University of Nebraska – Lincoln (Faculty Advisor: Prof. Lily Wang)
- Virginia Demske, Ethan Bourdeau, and Thomas Szarkowicz; University of Hartford (Faculty Advisor: Prof. Robert Celmer)
- Sofia Jönsson, Alexandra Toivonen, and Aleksandra Pyzik; Chalmers University of Technology (Faculty Advisor: Prof. Mendel Kleiner)
- Jeong Sik Yoo and Mitchell Crammond; Yale School of Drama (Faculty Advisor: Damian Doria)
Congratulations to the winners! And thanks to all those who participated in this year’s competition!