The 2012 Student Design Competition was judged at the 163rd ASA Meeting in Hong Kong, in May 2012. The project involved the design of a mixed use building, including hotel, restaurant/nightclub, and office space . There were 20 entries submitted from 12 different universities. The panel of judges included Angelo Campanella (Campanella Associates), Clemeth Abercrombie (Artec Consultants), Zane Au (Shen, Milsom, & Wilke), Calvin Chan (Shen, Milsom & Wilke), Tim Gulsrud (Kirkegaard & Associates), and Dave Adams (DL Adams Associates).
And the winners are…
First Honors ($1250 prize):
- Liu Yiyi , Pan Lili , Wang Yunyong; South China University of Technology (Faculty Advisor: Prof. Zhao Yuezhe)
Commendations in no particular order ($700 prize):
- Per Bergström, Erik Olsson, Viktoria Henriksson; Chalmers University of Technology, Göteborg, Sweden (Advisors: Prof. Mendel Kleiner & Prof. Morten Mose Lund)
- Maria Hult, Petrus Torstenson, Einar Himmelmann; Chalmers University of Technology, Göteborg, Sweden (Faculty Advisors: Prof. Mendel Kleiner & Prof. Morten Mose Lund)
- Mizuki Inoue, Hidehiko Kondo, Saori Masuda; Tokyo Institute of Technology, Tokyo, Japan (Faculty Advisors: Prof. Yasushi Shimizu, Prof. Yoshiki Nakamura, Prof. Hiroshi Furuya)
- Grant Price; University of Kansas, Lawrence, Kansas, USA (Faculty Advisor: Prof. Robert Coffeen)
Congratulations to the winners! And thanks to all those who participated in this year’s competition!