66The 2010 Student Design Competition was judged at the 159th ASA Meeting in Baltimore, Maryland, in April 2010. The project involved the design of a performance hall primarily for opera at a college of moderate size. There were 25 entries submitted from a number of different schools. The panel of judges included: Richard Boner (BAi, LLC); Joel Lewitz (Rosen Goldberg Der & Lewitz); Tom McGraw (Acentech); Neil Thompson Shade (Acoustical Design Collaborative); Yan Xiang (Tsinghua University); and Aaron Zephir, Architect.
And the winners are…
First Honors ($1250 prize):
- Guo Yu, Liu Yanchang, and Hua Shan from Tsinghua University (Faculty Advisor: *)
- Stephanie Hoeman from University of Kansas (Faculty Advisor: Bob Coffeen)
- Charles Labatut, Jens Olsson, and Lukas Nordstrom from Chalmers Institute of Technology (Faculty Advisor: Mendel Kleiner)
- Raul Pagan, Sebastian Jenneteg, and Joel Berge from Chalmers Institute of Technology (Faculty Advisor: Mendel Kleiner)
- Norman Philipp and Rachel Lin from University of Kansas (Faculty Advisor: Bob Coffeen)
Congratulations to the winners! And thanks to all those who participated in this year’s competition!