The 2005 Student Design Competition was judged at the 149th ASA Meeting in Vancouver, British Columbia, in May 2005. The project involved planning and acoustic design for an urban mixed-use development containing a repertory theatre company. There were 7 entries submitted from 4 different schools. The panel of judges included: Alexis Kurtz (Arup Acoustics, New York City), Tony Hoover (Cavanaugh Tocci Associates, Boston), Michael Yantis (Michael R. Yantis Associates, Seattle), Gregory Miller (Talaske, Oak Park, Illinois), Richard Schick (Schick Shiner & Associates, Shawnigan Lake, British Columbia), and Bing Thom (Bing Thom Architects, Vancouver).
And the winners are…
First Honors ($1000 prize):
- Lauren Ronsse and Andy Miller from the University of Kansas (Faculty Advisor: Robert Coffeen)
Commendations in no particular order ($500 prize):
- Shawn Henry and Matt Gronniger from the University of Kansas (Faculty Advisor: Robert Coffeen)
- Ana Jaramillo, Nozomu Kamiya, and Bobby Gibbs from Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute (Faculty Advisors: Mendel Kleiner and Ning Xiang)
- Courtney McGinnes, David So, and Ken Andria from Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute (Faculty Advisors: Mendel Kleiner and Ning Xiang)
- Mark Wilcox and Doug Wilcox from University of Hartford (Faculty Advisor: Robert Celmer)
Congratulations to the winners! And thanks to all those who participated in this year’s competition!