The 2004 Student Design Competition was judged at the 147th ASA Meeting in New York City, New York in May 2004. The project involved preparing the schematic design for a music pavilion to serve as a city orchestra’s summer home and assorted support spaces. There were 16 entries submitted from 7 different schools. The panel of judges included: Joshua Dachs (Fisher Dachs Associates), Byron Harrison (The Talaske Group), Tony Hoover (Cavanaugh Tocci Associates), Dana Hougland (Shen Milsom Wilke), Joseph Myers (Kirkegaard Associates), and Mark Reber (Jaffe Holden Acoustics).
And the winners are…
First Honors ($1000 prize):
- Molly K. Norris, Julie Byrne and Rebecca Simkins; Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute (Faculty Advisor: Rendell Torres)
Commendations in no particular order ($500 prize):
- Michael Bono and Michael Colburn; University of Kansas (Faculty Advisor: Bob Coffeen)
- Erica Bowden and David Bradley; University of Nebraska (Faculty Advisor: Lily Wang)
- Kevin Krudwig, Sebastian Otero and Evelyn Way; Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute (Faculty Advisor: Rendell Torres)
- Jacob Mueller, Jonah Sacks and Andrew Eckel; Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute (Faculty Advisors: Rendell Torres and Mendel Kleiner)
- Michelle Vigeant, University of Nebraska (Faculty Advisor: Lily Wang)
Congratulations to the winners! And thanks to all those who participated in this year’s competition!