The 2008 Student Design Competition was judged at the 155th ASA Meeting in Paris, France, in July 2008. The project involved the development of a university building that combines a transit center, street-level retail, a 12-story tower with offices and a new theater performance space. There were 17 entries submitted from a number of different schools. The panel of judges included: Adam Foxwell (PMK Consultants, Dallas, Texas), Anders Christian Gade (Gade & Mortensen Akustik, Charlottenlund, Denmark), Yann Jurkiewicz (Kahle Acoustics, Brussels, Belgium), Ioana Pielanu (Acentech, Cambridge, Massachusetts), and Raf Orlowski (Arup, Cambridge, UK) .
And the winners are…
First Honors ($1250 prize):
- Kathleen Stetson, Alex Bockman, and Arthur van der Harten from Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute (Faculty Advisors: Paul Calamia and Ning Xiang)
Commendations in no particular order ($700 prize):
- Pamela Harght from the Unversity of Kansas (Faculty Advisor: Robert Coffeen)
- Antoni Torras Rosell, Elizabet Tiana Roig and David Pelegrín García from the Technical University of Denmark
- Stephen Secules, Douglas Malora and Benjamin Markham from Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute (Faculty Advisors: Paul Calamia and Ning Xiang)
- Alicia Wagner and Jonathan Rathsam from the University of Nebraska (Faculty Advisor: Lily Wang)
Congratulations to the winners! And thanks to all those who participated in this year’s competition!